Monday, June 27, 2011

Reasons to Purchase a Kindle as Your Personal E-Reader

I'm sold. I have  been using my Kindle for about a week now, and I can say it was one of my own best technological investments of the year. I have boldly finished my first book on the device, James Rollins' book Excavation. I realize Rollins' book wasn't exactly educational, but I actually read the book from cover to cover, or should I say from digital file to digital file. I have been experimenting with the Kindle app on my iPad and on my laptops for weeks, but I honestly enjoy reading more from the Kindle. I might also add that I have bought several more e-books since my last posting about the Kindle too. Why should one invest in a Kindle? If you're totally satisfied with the Kindle app on you iPad or on your PC, maybe you shouldn't, but here's some reasons I'm glad I bought one.

Kindle 3

  • Amazon offers a much larger selection of e-books than other e-book sellers. There have been several titles of e-books I've wanted and I just can't find them at Barnes and Noble. The selection of education and leadership books for the Kindle is enormous. It's rather simple: what good is an e-reader if you can't get the books you want for it. The Kindle offers readers a much wider selection of reading material, and this suits this book-reading administrator fine.
  • The Kindle's size is much smaller than the iPad, and trying to curl up beside my laptop to read has proven too problematic. While the iPad is also very portable, and it does lend itself to being a very useful device for reading, the size of the Kindle is perfect. I can easily hold it in one hand. Changing pages is strangely easier too with the the forward and back buttons located in just the right place. The weight of the Kindle along with its thickness makes it easy to handle. I find it even easier to walk and read at the same time than I did with a book. The Kindle's size and design is perfect for this reader.
  • The screen on the Kindle is much better than the iPad too, except in the dark of course. I had read before from several articles how the glare of the iPad screen makes it difficult to read in full light, and that has proven to be true. The Kindle's no-glare screen and lack of back-lighting actually make it much easier to read in the direct sunlight. Just like the iPad or PC app, you can adjust the size of the text and the font to make it even easier to read. The Kindle actually makes reading easier on the eyes too.
  • Right now, getting a Kindle has become rather inexpensive too. Amazon has a Kindle with wifi access for $114 and you can get that same deal at Best Buy as well.  I purchased mine at Best Buy for $50, but I tool advantage of some reward points to get that price. I have found my Kindle well-worth the price.
The Kindle is compact, easy-to-use device. There are still times when the iPad app suits my reading habits the best, but I find the Kindle is an excellent e-reader choice for those who want something just a bit smaller and less expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment